Position Title: Creative Director – International, Discovery Consumer Products, Maternity Cover.
Division: Discovery Global Enterprises
Department: Discovery Consumer Products
Reports to: Senior Vice President
Essential Peer Relationships: International Licensing Directors, Managers Creative & Product Development
Responsible for creating the visual design and style for the Discovery Consumer Product (DCP) brands and all International brand opportunities. Overseeing the product development process for International based licensees to create compelling consumer products and packaging that reflects the distinct personality of every DCP brand; including our Adult, Kids, and Program franchise brands. Ensure that DCP maintains a creative excellence and commercial competitiveness with awareness of international retail landscapes.
The Creative Director’s team oversees the review and approval of 1,000+ products submitted from licensees throughout Europe, Latin America and Asia.
Crucial is the ability to work closely with key internal and external stakeholders, be able to prioritize and work as part of a small cross functional team.
- Based on the brand strategy set by Senior Management, direct the creation of style guides, channel distribution specific and seasonal supplements for International DCP brands across all consumer touch points.
- Work closely with the Director, Brand Strategy & Marketing to translate brand promise into style guides and compelling retail spaces that meet Discovery’s expectations and drive revenue.
- Partner with International Sales Directors and managers, to drive production development strategies across all consumer touch points that drive long term financial targets and work within the parameters of Discovery’s brand promise.
- Work closely with Discovery talent to develop products and designs that work within their brand and Discovery’s. Manage strong personalities and intense situations.
- Manage, plan and allocate the annual creative budget according to strategy.
- Direct the International creative development process for 1,000+ products per year across multiple categories with 300+ international partners.
- Manage the product development team and be accountable for the approval system, across all European, LatAm and Asia product.
- Project manage and produce various trade show booths with external vendors and oversee the production of collateral materials in support of the shows.
- Liaise with Network colleagues to understand channel brand direction and identify regional quick-wins for creating fast-to market products and country specific promotions.
- Secure strong internal and external creative and production resources. Manage relationships and projects with strong planning and negotiation skills to ensure projects are delivered on budget and on schedule.
- Set and maintain creative and production standards for the department. Develop processes and procedures as needed to ensure efficient communication and cost effective creative development.
- Design product mock ups, POP materials, branded retail areas, marketing materials, catalogues and sales presentations to support the international DCP sales teams.
- Attend meetings when necessary alongside sales teams for potential and existing partners.
- Tap into colour, fashion and industry trends as they relate to our brands and our licensed categories. Understand licensee parameters and evaluate competition.
- Oversee the maintenance of online databases for imagery, style guides, product approvals and product samples.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience.
- Over ten years total professional licensing experience with an understanding of design for consumer products and packaging across international markets.
- A team player with experience of working in a collaborative cross-functional internationally based team.
- Excellent creative development skills with a history that includes the invention of brand design language, as well as line extensions and brand evolution.
- Stylistically flexible.
- Ability to consistently generate and execute new ideas.
- Strong interpersonal communication skills and experience of managing a team.
- Ability to direct the design of others (both internal staff, and external licensees, vendors and creative agencies).
- Knowledge of product design, production and manufacturing processes for a wide variety of product categories, including apparel, toys, home, tech, promotions and electronics.
- Proven track record that includes: timeline management, product & content development, negotiating skills and budget management.
- Good knowledge of design software including Adobe Illustrator, Adobe Photoshop, InDesign
- Able to travel domestically and internationally as required.