Division: Universal Consumer Products International
Position: Category Manager Softlines FTC – UK Consumer Products
Reports to: Senior Licensing Manager Softlines – UK Consumer Products
Universal Pictures were the first of the modern Hollywood studios, and over their one hundred years, they have been responsible for some of the world’s most memorable feature films. The home of ET, Jurassic Park, Despicable Me, Jason Bourne, Dracula, Bridget Jones, Mamma Mia!, The Mummy, Les Miserables, King Kong and the unstoppable Fast & Furious franchise, to name a few.
Universal Consumer Products International oversees NBCUniversal’s consumer product and digital licensing for Universal Pictures, NBC Television, Focus Features and Sprout Channel. Universal Consumer Products International is part of NBCUniversal. NBCUniversal is one of the world’s leading media and entertainment companies in the development, production, and marketing of entertainment, news, and information to a global audience. NBCUniversal owns and operates a valuable portfolio of news and entertainment television networks, a premier motion picture company, significant television production operations, a leading television stations group, world-renowned theme parks, and a suite of leading internet-based businesses. NBCUniversal is a subsidiary of Comcast Corporation.
The Category Manager Softlines will support the Senior Licensing Manger Softlines in the development and execution of a long-term business strategy for the UK Softlines category (including health and beauty) that leverages the richness of NBCUniversal’s entertainment content (past & present) to build a sustainable business that achieves annual revenue targets.
The position will focus on primarily on the development of pre-determined partners and new business plus supporting the day to day management of the total licensee base to include gap analysis, pitch plans, contract negotiation, forecasting, and retail sell in.
Category and licensee management:
* Work with the Senior Licensing Manager Softlines to develop and execute long-term growth strategies for the Softlines category
* Identify licensing opportunities and fill market gaps across the category considering age, segment, market, channel, and franchise
* Lead contract negotiations for assigned licensees, analyse and vet business plans and brand manage via Business Reviews to ensure contract deliverables are met throughout the term
* Accountable for day-to-day management of assigned licensees
* Develop knowledge of Licensees production and creative capabilities/limitations and liase with the Product Development Manager UK to drive quality and champion innovation in product development ensuring lines are commercially viable for the UK and meeting retailer needs
* Maintain current knowledge of industry trends, competitors, business opportunities, threats and dynamics for category and key licensees
* Work on the creation of targeted presentations to pitch, support or launch licensing programmes or specific category areas
* Attendance and presentation participation in licensee/retail/partner presentations
* Regular attendance of trade shows and social industry functions where applicable – e.g. Brand Licensing Europe, Spring Fair
Finance and Business Planning:
* Fiscal responsibility of pre-determined partners to include annual budget planning and quarterly revenue forecasting
* Analyse business performance across said partners and define growth objectives and strategies
* Point of contact for all licensees on systems support
* Work with Marketing and Retail Managers to ensure solid oversight on retail and marketing plans, relaying information to licensees as required and integrating into category strategy plans
* Define and integrate assigned licensees within wider retail and marketing plans where relevant
* Regular liaison with Product development team sharing information and knowledge to ensure business growth
* Support assigned licensees through relationships with key buyers and decision makers across top retailers in partnership with the Retail Manager
* Maintain knowledge of key seasonalities and buying cycles of identified key retailers
* Support on DTR partnerships
* Provide input and execute strategy set for the Softlines category
* Manage assigned licensees to grow the CP business.
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
* Understanding of brand and property positioning, retail business development function, retail distribution and the retail environment
* Strategic and creative thinker
* Flexible/ability to adjust to changing business environment
* Relationship builder
* Excellent communication & presentation skills
* Strong sales and negotiation skills
* Team Player
* Driven, passionate and highly motivated
* A sociable personality