Acamar Films is an award-winning Television and Production company with a growing international mission to create iconic content. The company is privately owned and is experiencing rapid expansion, primarily due to the success of its CBeebies hit project, Bing.
We are looking for a stand-out candidate to join our licensing team as Head of UK, as we engage with ambitious goals that take us far beyond our heartland of television and further into the world of Consumer Products and Retail. These are just some of the areas you will be working with as you seek to deliver opportunities principally in the Consumer Products and Licensed categories in the UK.
In this newly created role, you will be identifying and negotiating with key potential licensing partners and forging strong retail relationships as we develop a broad portfolio of varied new products and experiences based on our Bing IP. You will also be required to nurture and develop existing licensing partnerships.
You will be working as a key member of our Licensing and Merchandising team, based in Camden, London, as well as coordinating closely with our UK based licensees and retailers. You will seek out and secure the best licensing partners to help us deliver our long-term goals. Prepared to regularly travel nationally and to be the face of Acamar Films at relevant industry shows, you will also work closely with the Production, Product Development, Design, Marketing, Finance and Legal teams to ensure we deliver the best deals.
You will be a commercially minded strategic thinker and passionate about bringing children and family brands to consumer across multiple touchpoints. Most importantly we are looking for an individual who wants to work in an ever-evolving creative and collaborative environment and possess the tenacity to make things happen.
This is a hugely exciting time to be joining Acamar films, which has an excellent track record of success, including a new series with the BBC, App launch, and a growing Digital and Consumer Products presence across the globe. As we continue to successfully professionalize, digitize and globalize, our audience remains at the heart of everything we do.
- Delivering UK revenue target
- Quarterly and Annual forecasting and reforecasting – working closely with the finance team
- Ensuring credit checks are conducted for new licensee partnerships accordingly to level of risk/earnings
- Working with finance to ensure royalty reports are submitted on time quarterly, and accurately reflect sales and retail listings
- Helping to find innovative ways to grow the business
- Securing new licensing deals and negotiating renewals alongside our legal team
- Researching and pitching new category opportunities and prospective clients
- Working with the Head of EMEA in the extension of local deals or distribution opportunities into additional countries, and vice versa
- Supporting the Executive Director of Sales in analysing trading priorities inclusive of launches, promotions, exclusives, and campaign activities for the purpose of maximizing sales opportunities
- Representing the business at conferences, trade fairs and networking events, sales workshops, seminars and hosting events and so forth
- Supporting the Executive Director of Sales in ensuring the delivery of results is in line with the planned strategy, adjusting where necessary and importantly, prioritizing activity
- Implementation and execution of the UK licensing roll out strategy, in collaboration with Executive Director of Sales
- Working closely with the Creative, Marketing and Content teams to develop joint business plans.
- Ensuring the long-term success of Bing with 3 year roll out plan and reviewing on an ongoing basis, working with marketing, product development, brand and partnerships, publishing and content teams
- Ensuring up to date UK market and industry knowledge at all times in order to react and adjust strategic direction accordingly
- Overseeing the roll out of the Bing web shop, its development and maintenance and overall sales performance, taking appropriate action to ensure long term success and integration into the Bing app
- Contributing to company strategic UK market brainstorms Retail & Category management
- Quarterly review meetings with Top 10 licensees
- Identifying and implementing DTR and Halo partnerships working closely with Head of EMEA, UK Marketing Manager, product development and design teams
- Delivering UK revenue across softlines category and taking ownership of UK retail strategy to include ecommerce and DTR relationships
- Identifying DTR opportunities and pitching, working closely with Head of EMEA, UK Marketing Manager, product development and design teams
- Managing strategic relationships with our master toy partner, Golden Bear, working closely with the Head of EMEA
- Seeking, developing and maintaining relationships with new UK based licensees, retailers and partners – ensuring they are updated on Bing and ongoing product placement and listings are secured
- Working with Executive Director of Sales to recommend CMF and/or marketing spend as appropriate to ensure sales support and retail activations across key product categories e.g. competition prizes, instore events, point of sale
- Ensuring retail listings are captured on a seasonal basis and shared with marketing to assist with retail activations
- Brainstorming ideas internally to align with key marketing themes
- Working with content team to ensure all aspects of community management are being fulfilled to support product and retail launches via Acamar’s social media platforms
- Mentoring newcomers to licensing from retail through the Retail Mentoring Programme ensuring Acamar supports the industry and develops long term partnerships
Marketing and Brand Management
- Working closely with the UK Marketing Manager to ensure product roll out alignment and implementation of brand strategy
- Negotiating CMF funding with licensees where/if appropriate to support retail and marketing initiatives and agreeing yearly spend with Executive Director of Sales
- Ensuring monthly dispatch of all brand materials and updates to external parties (retailers, licensees)
- Marketing material management (concept to execution) e.g. licensee trade shows, BLE, consumer and trade press submissions, fact sheets, newsletters
- Leading licensee and retail workshops every 6 months, working with marketing, product development, design, publishing, brand and partnerships and content teams
- Working with content and marketing team on key product release calendar to ensure key product launches are being highlighted to the Bing community via Acamar’s social media platforms
- Working in conjunction with UK Marketing Manager to present Bing to retailers and licensees
- Be the face of Acamar in the UK licensing industry, ensuring Bing is top of mind in all trade and marketing communications, working with the UK Marketing Manager
Creative and PD Management
- Working closely with the product development and design teams on getting first class product to market in line with market and consumer products roll out strategy
- Ensuring all licensees and retailers (as appropriate) have the most up to date creative assets, working with product development teams
- Providing input into deliverables and budgets of style guides/assets
- Briefing in design work for key licensee or retail pitches as required
- Working with product development team to ensure product book showcases best in class product from UK twice a year for BLE and LIE, working with Head of EMEA as well as PD and creative teams
- Ensuring full alignment with PD on UK market needs for successful product launches and appropriate ranges eg Golden Bear, in line with strategy
- Key retail buyer meetings and/or pitches with PD team as required
- To provide support, line management, guidance and mentorship and be pivotal in recruiting additional team members as the company expands, with shared ambitions, strategic thinking and a collaborative approach.
- Manage and monitor direct reports performances and deliverables
- Proven successful relationships with retailers and delivering results. DTR experience is desirable.
- Extensive experience across a wide range of product categories in both softlines and hardlines
- Significant demonstrable understanding of the industry framework; understanding of market needs, expectations, competition and pricing
- Proven track record of building and commercializing successful IP across licensing, marketing, product, entertainment and retail
- Must be commercially aware – the ideal candidate can demonstrate awareness of current and future market trends and an interest in consumer products
- In depth knowledge of the licensing industry, ideally in children’s branded consumer products
- Experience of working in a high growth team or start up would be an advantage
- A thorough and detailed knowledge of Bing and its ethos is an advantage, teamed with a willingness to learn more
- Degree in Marketing / Business or similar or equivalent experience
- Experience of budget planning and tracking costs effectively
- Intellectual rigor and creative flair
- First class presentation, negotiation and influencing skills
- Excellent communicator and relationship builder
- The enthusiasm, commitment and drive to push forward ideas and champion Bing
- Proven ability to organize and manage a heavy workload and juggle priorities effectively
- Most importantly, the most qualified candidate will be strongly aligned with Acamar core values, which include: Collaboration, creativity, curiosity, courage, diversity, kindness, leadership and integrity.
This role will report to the Executive Director of Sales
The role is full time, and office based (Camden, London.) Regular UK and some international travel, will be required.