Job Title: Junior Designer – Brand Licensing
Division: Commercial, Digital & Exhibitions
Department/Section: Licensing & Business Development
Contract: Fixed Term for 6 months
Reporting to: Senior Designer
Salary: £26,000 per annum
The V&A’s commercial department has developed an award-winning global brand licensing programme, the profits of which are covenanted to the V&A. It is recognized that there are greater opportunities for development, both in the UK and overseas and a junior designer role is needed to achieve the ambitious growth plan.
Purpose of job
To support the management of licensee relationships and performance in multiple categories across multiple territories, under the direction of the Senior Designer and alongside the Brand Licensing Account Managers. The licensees are currently located in Europe, USA, Australia, Japan, Korea and China. The purpose of this role will be on design approvals of V&A branded products, packaging and all associated marketing created by the V&A’s 80+ licensees, providing design support and ensuring that all licensed products are promoted in line with the V&A’s brand guidelines. It includes development of designs for B2B marketing for trade shows and direct liaison with retailers to maximise revenue generating opportunities and assisting the team as required with marketing and press activities and attending relevant trade events.
- Provide design support for the management of licensees across the V&A’s entire portfolio in multiple product categories and territories
- Implementing the V&A’s brand guidelines to guide and influence designs produced by licensees
- Working with the licensing research team to produce design ideas and presentations to licensees
- Providing feedback on supplied concepts, clearly marking up amendments and giving clear guidance and occasional revision of artwork
- Managing the V&A online approval account of licensees proofs and samples approval stages in relation to submissions featuring V&A branding
- Producing large scale graphics for trade shows
- Create design solutions for certain collaborations, combining third party brand guidelines whilst adhering to the V&A Brand Guidelines
- Work with the Senior Designer and Designer with retail, publishing and image licensing projects from time to time when required
- Taking care of your personal health and safety and that of others and report any health and safety concerns. Ensure proactive compliance with V&A Policies, including risk assessments and implementing safe systems of work
- Promote equality and diversity in all aspects of your work by developing and maintaining positive working relationships, ensuring that colleagues are treated fairly and with respect/dignity and actively contributing to developments that support the museum’s strategy for widening access, inclusion and diversity.
- Be committed to health and safety and ensure that you are familiar with all of the Museum’s health and safety policies and procedures. Enforce the Museum’s safety and security policies, in particular ensuring that the badge display, keys control, No Smoking and Health and Safety policies are observed
- Be security conscious, ensure familiarity and co-operation with all museum security procedures and ensure you wear a security pass at all times when on museum premises.
- Carry out ad hoc duties as requested and be able to undertake all of the duties detailed within Security Supervisors job description.
- BA Hons (or similar) in relevant discipline, or equivalent experience
- Experience working with Adobe CC (InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, Acrobat) and Microsoft
- An understanding of commercial applications of product development and graphic design
- Excellent attention to detail
- Clear and concise written, verbal, and presentation skills
- Good organisational and time management skills and ability to work under pressure
- Ability to support multiple development projects simultaneously and ability to prioritise workload
- Ability to build and maintain relationships with internal cross-functional teams
- Highly adaptable with ability to meet diverse customer needs
- Have a focus on delivery and be results driven
- Show ambition for the business and with a positive, can-do attitude
- A team player
- Capacity for occasional UK travel
- Please attach a portfolio of your recent work.
- A background in design, licensing or retail experience
- Interest in licensing and retail trends
This role is part-time: 4 days (29 hours) per week.
The basic salary for this role will be £26,000 per annum. Salaries are reviewed on an annual basis.
28 days plus 8 days public holidays
You will be auto enrolled into the Museum’s Group Personal Pension Scheme and have the opportunity on completion of Probation to an enhanced pension provision, including an employer contribution of 10%.
Non-contributory life assurance policy (to value of 4 x annual salary)
An interest free season ticket or bicycle loan is available after completion of your probationary period.
Free entrance to all the major museums and exhibitions in London as well as many others.
Subsidised staff restaurant
Discounts on purchases in V&A shops