Boat Rocker Media is a global entertainment company that creates, produces, and exploits premium media content for all platforms by developing brands and IP for worldwide monetization. Boat Rocker Studios, the content, distribution, and brands arm of the company, consists of the following content groups: Platform One Media, Temple Street, Matador Content, Proper, Insight Productions, Boat Rocker Kids & Family, Jam Filled Entertainment, and partnerships with Untitled Entertainment and Industrial Brothers.
A selection of Boat Rocker’s recent projects includes Orphan Black (BBC AMERICA, Space), Lip Sync Battle (Paramount Network), Iron Chef Canada (Food Network), Killjoys (Syfy, Space), The Amazing Race Canada (CTV), Knight Fight (History), Vintage Tech Hunters (Discovery), X Company (CBC), Masterchef Canada (CTV), Mary’s Kitchen Crush (CTV), The Next Step (Family Channel, CBBC), The Loud House (Nickelodeon), Love Monster (CBeebies), Kingdom Force (CBC). For more information on Boat Rocker Media, please visit www.boatrocker.com and connect via (Twitter) or (Facebook).
In this role, the Licensing Manager will report to the Director, Licensing, based in NYC office. The successful candidate will work with the broader Boat Rocker Studios team to deliver & grow the portfolio of brands focussed mainly on the kids & family portfolio. However, this role will also work across Boat Rocker’s scripted and factual content divisions as brand and licensing opportunities arise. The ideal candidate will work closely with all divisions across Boat Rocker to take a holistic view of the brand and its P&L to drive ‘one voice’, encouraging collaboration across all lines of business. Within the licensing function this role will be responsible for sales pitches, deal negotiations and reporting across a range of categories as well as supporting the Licensing Director in achieving revenue goals for the region. The role will focus primarily on the US/CAN/LATAM regions but will also contribute to the global business.
- Support the Licensing Director to create local and regional (North America and Latin America) Consumer Products strategies and rollout plans that deliver against the overarching global plans.
- Work in partnership across multiple lines of business and teams to help implement and execute the CP strategies both locally and regionally, providing quarterly updates to senior management.
- Lead deal making and project management for specific CP categories, with focus on seasonal, social expressions and soft lines categories including accessories and HBA.
- Responsibility and management of specified licensing deal fulfilment, ensuring all rights are cleared before the deal is closed.
- Identify category gaps and target new partners to fill these, including manufacturers, promotional partners and DTRs with retailers.
- Deliver financial targets against forecast and provide regular updates on these deliverables.
- Work with Toronto based Brand & Licensing Manager to prepare custom pitch materials, ensuring relevant information flows to and from licensee network.
- Continually monitor licensee performance and hold regular updates with license base.
- Work closely with product development team on product submissions and feedback.
- Receive and track quarterly royalty reports.
- Assist with management of LATAM agents & deals submitted by the agents.
- Support agents with updated brand information and materials.
- Support the Licensing Director across all initiatives including retail activations.
- Regularly monitor and review brand performance across the region, communicating successes and highlighting potential risks to management team.
- Build key relationships internally with Production, Creative, Legal, Finance, Marketing and externally with licensees, retailers, promotional clients, agents, and agencies.
- Have a thorough knowledge of key trends as well as brand and competitor’s performance.
- Attendance at all relevant trade shows.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience within an entertainment, licensing, retail, or consumer products business.
- Experience in managing a portfolio of brands and strong ability to multi-task.
- Experience in developing brand plans with a commercial and strategic understanding.
- Understanding of the standard frameworks around licensing deals with demonstrable sales negotiation experience.
- Experience in pitching brands and product to retailers.
- An established network of relevant industry contacts.
- Strong interpersonal and relationship management skills.
- Highly organised with the ability to work to tight deadlines and manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Strong MS Office skills, PowerPoint in particular
Why Boat Rocker?
- Boat Rocker is the home for creative visionaries. You’ll work with a team of passionate, creative and fun individuals who have a passion for stories and storytelling
- Competitive salary along with a comprehensive healthcare and dental benefits package, including access to an Employee Assistance Program
- Support for your career progression through opportunities for learning and development, including access to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) learning via our DEI partner, The Canadian Centre for Diversity & Inclusion
- Summer hours and additional time off during the winter holidays
- Hybrid work environment
- Opportunities to connect with teammates across the company both virtually and in-person through various team-building events and activities