JOB TITLE: PR Manager (Maternity Cover – up to 14 months)
LOCATION: London, UK
REPORTS TO: Vice President of Marketing and Business Development
Founded in Everett (US), Funko is a $700m business and the global purveyor of pop culture consumer products, most well-known for its collectible Pop! Vinyl figures. With over 1,000 licenses, Funko has one of the largest portfolios in the pop culture industry. Funko’s inimitable designs span across multiple categories including; apparel, plush toys, board games, card games, key rings and more. The Funko umbrella also owns brands including; the innovative Snapsies™ toy, the Japanese inspired Paka Paka, Wetmore Forest and more. With an in-house production and creative team, along with an animation studio, the Funko brand will only grow from here!
Funko EMEA Overview
The EMEA market, which is just over four years old currently stands at an impressive £120m (its US subsidiary stands at $700m and has been active since 1998). Funko EMEA, is a leading creator of award-winning, licensed consumer products including; Star Wars, Harry Potter, Marvel, DC Comics, and many more. With over 1,000 licenses, and products that range from collectibles, to toys, to plushes and much more, Funko EMEA has one of the largest portfolios in the industry. Funko EMEA’s HQ is based in West London’s Hammersmith and its brand-new state-of-the-art distribution centre is based in Coventry. At Funko EMEA, we have a diverse and collaborative culture with a propensity for action whilst always striving to have FUN! To learn more, visit our first-ever European online store www.FunkoEurope.com and stay in touch on social over at Twitter (@FunkoEurope), Facebook (/FunkoEurope) and Instagram (@Funko_Europe).
Born in Southern California, Funko’s subsidiary, Loungefly, is a contemporary fashion brand that designs a wide selection of unique licensed style accessories including from; Disney, Marvel, Harry Potter, Hello Kitty, Star Wars and more. Hailed by fashion bible Grazia (UK) as, “the fan-focused accessory brand”, Loungefly produce coveted and collectible fashion accessories that dedicated fans around the globe are quick to hunt down. Made from premium materials, products include; backpacks, cross-body bags, cardholders, wallets and purses. Loungefly injects the “Fun(ko)” into every outfit!
The PR manager will manage, plan and execute publicity coverage and strategy across consumer, trade and business media for the UK and Europe, as well as lead on internal communications for the business.
This role reports to the Vice President of Marketing and Business Development, helping deliver increased awareness for Funko across the market to trade and consumers alike. This role works across the organisation with a variety of commercial and non-commercial teams to help achieve desired business results.
What You’ll Do:
- Develop and cultivate relationships with media owners, influencers and other thought leaders within the relevant sectors as the first point of contact for anyone requiring information on Funko
- Manage and execute a strong and proactive press office
- Manage, plan and execute publicity coverage and strategy across consumer, trade and business media for the UK and Europe (UK, France, Germany and Spain as priority)
- Create, update and manage media lists
- Maintain and grow key media relationships
- Order and manage samples to be sent to key contacts and licensors as well as forecast key requirements
- Plan and execute key campaign plans around new category and product launches
- Regular analysis of media coverage as well as key themes and take outs relating to the Funko business
- Writing and approving compelling copy for externally facing communications
- Assisting and organising relevant exposure to press at events both trade and consumer
- Manage and broker influencer activity, alongside the Social Media Manager
- Manage and broker PR partnerships and sponsorships
- Lead on trade ad placement and B2B relationships with key outlets
- Oversee paid media opportunities e.g. advertorials
- Plan and manage the publicity budget effectively including financial admin
- Be a brand ambassador and responsible for the growth of Loungefly and Apparel
- Create internal communication materials including eNewsletters, and monthly reports
- Monitor publicity statistics and growth via PR-specific tools
- Lead on new brand launch PR plans with support from the Vice President of Marketing and Business Development and Senior Marketing Manager
- Support Marketing and eCommerce (FunkoEurope.com) activity with publicity executions
- Manage agencies across the UK and Europe (when required)
- Manage licensor PR relationships
- Manage communications with the US PR Director
- Lead on nominations for award shows
- Provide cross departmental support
- Ad hoc tasks depending on business needs i.e. non-PR specific tasks
What You’ll Bring:
- PR experience ideally within a B2C environment preferably from a consumer products, lifestyle, fashion or entertainment business
- Established contact base
- Track record of developing and delivering communications strategy
- Excellent copywriting and editing skills
- Exceptional interpersonal and relationship building abilities
- Fluent English with additional European language skills a plus
- Effective multi-tasker with excellent prioritisation skills; able to create, drive and execute initiatives to tight deadlines
- This is a fantastic opportunity within a rapidly expanding business, which is on track for phenomenal growth
- The opportunity to help grow something from a relatively small base within a highly buoyant marketplace
- Excellent promotional opportunities as the business grows
- Outstanding culture, which is fun, dynamic and constantly evolving
What Funko Offers
Funko offers competitive salaries and our benefits include 25 days annual leave per year (pro rata), pension, discretionary company bonus and a wide variety of discounts (shopping, food & drink, entertainment and health & fitness) through Perkbox.
Funko is an equal opportunity employer. We know that every superhero has a unique origin story and the diversity of these stories enrich what we do. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, colour, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.