Penguin Ventures, the licensing and consumer product division of Penguin Random House, is looking for an ambitious and innovative senior licensing professional to manage our Asia Pacific (APAC) markets, with a core focus on China and Japan. Reporting to the Head of International Licensing, this is a position with significant scope for growth, and will require someone with proven licensing experience and who is hungry to drive our business and relationships to new heights across the region.
** ALL APPLICATIONS MUST BE MADE USING THIS LINK **
About Penguin Ventures
We’re off the page and on an adventure.
Penguin Ventures is the licensing and consumer product division of Penguin Random House. We take our iconic literary brands and characters: Peter Rabbit, The Snowman, Spot, Flower Fairies and more, and take them on new adventures. Anything you see – whether that’s on products, at retail, part of promotions, food and drink, exhibitions or even location-based experiences – that use our brands, has been managed and licensed through our team.
- You will have overall responsibility and management for the Penguin Ventures Portfolio across APAC.
- You will lead the Asia consumer products and licensing business working across direct business as well as be supported by two local agents for Peter Rabbit Classic only in Japan and China (including rest of Asia)
- You are the direct link between our APAC Agents in China and Japan
- In conjunction with our agents you will manage, develop and deliver the overall market and category strategies for our APAC business
- You will have full P&L responsibility for APAC including budgeting, forecasting and revenue performance
- You will work closely with our agents to gain an excellent understanding of the APAC licensee portfolio & retail landscape in order to grow the business and deliver targeted revenue to the Penguin Ventures budget
- You will influence the creative and brand strategies to support the growth of the business across APAC
- You will aid brand and retail conversations working with the Head of Retail and brand teams to help drive retail initiatives with your Agents and direct business
- Excellent knowledge of the licensing industry
- An in-depth knowledge and experience managing licensing agents, ideally across APAC
- The ability to understand and pitch a clear and engaging licensing proposition that works in service to the brand and creative strategies, but also meets the needs of the licensee, retailer, and end consumer
- A strong eye for detail as it relates to contracts and financial information
- Excellent presentation skills
- A big-picture thinker who can join the dots between categories, retailers, and consumers to build a clear brand proposition and direction for development and growth
- You will be expected to attend all relevant tradeshows and where required travel to market(s) to meet with your agents, licensees and retail partners
- Local language experience would be a bonus but not a requirement
- A strong collaborator, team player with the ability to lead, manage and be managed
- A great communicator who can be persuasive in making their argument while balancing the views of others
- Calm under pressure and able to think on your feet when the situation demands
- Attention to detail especially when it comes to contracts and financial data
- A great can-do attitude with the want to grow and develop within the team
- To manage the short- and long-term strategic growth plan for APAC
- Full management and approval of all new deals and renewals which are presented to you by our agents
- Where required deals will also need to be submitted to the Commercial Director or the Head of International Licensing for approval
- To regularly present our Global properties and brand updates, including Global best practice to our APAC agents and your direct licensees to fuel licensee growth and develop your new business pipeline
- You will be across the full deal life cycle and where applicable work with relevant teams:
– Contracts to ensure all queries with the licensee/agent are dealt with in a timely fashion through to signature of the agreement
– Be across all product development alongside the Creative team and support in dealing with any pinch-points as regards to development
– Track agent and licensee quarterly royalty performance through our reporting system Brand Comply and deal with any pinch-points as regards to reporting and payment with the Agents or direct licensees
– Work with Agents and direct licensees to secure annual forecasting to aid in the Ventures overall budget and forecasting process
- Be the main point of contact for all APAC queries and enquiries within the business including the key conduit for all publishing, marketing, PR and social media conversations.
- Work closely with the Head of International Licensing on securing approval for any out of territory sales which may be presented by the agents.
- You will own the APAC numbers as well as have a wider understanding of the team’s financial responsibilities in service to the budget including:
-A detailed understanding of your agents and licensees performance by SKU and retailer using data from Brand Comply
– An understanding of the full budget across Penguin Ventures and how this impacts the PRH Children’s budget
- A deep understanding of the sales figures to help identify gaps and trends in service to building a robust strategic plan to grow the APAC business
- You will be responsible for presenting APAC budgets, forecasts and revenue numbers to the Head of International Licensing and Commercial Director as well as providing data in support of finance, senior leadership and board meetings as required
Brand & Retail
- In service to your agents, you will work with our Head of Retail & e-commerce manger to assist in driving growth with key retailers in market
- To present latest Owned Brand Team updates and initiatives to your Agents and where applicable to local retailers
- Regularly share best practice International cross category retail initiatives with your agents that amplify key brand and campaign messaging.
- Support the Head of International on Ad-Hoc project where required as well as share best practice from your markets in order to help drive international business.
Please APPLY HERE with your CV and cover letter (addressed to Lindsay) by midnight on Sunday 25th September.
** ALL APPLICATIONS MUST BE MADE USING THIS LINK **